Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rookie Groups: Teddy Catching up on Gangkiz, Spica, and Hello Venus


So school is finally over for me (Thank ya Lawd) but it starts back up Tuesday for Summer school (Dear Jesus *faints*) but I am officially back! In my absence I've noticed that a lot of rookie groups have finally revealed themselves and released a few new tracks and I was able to catch up on a few I neglected. I won't try to convince you that I was at all overly excited about any of them (I wasn't) or that I'm already stanning for one of them (I may be), but I will introduce them to you and point a few things I loved and thought were extra ordinary in their videos, so let's begin with our first victims group.


Hello Venus has gotten a lot of net buzz lately because it's the new girl group from Pledis - the same label who gave us After school and new boy group Nu'est. After Nu'est's stellar breakthrough, many was hoping that the same hopes were high that their next project Hello Venus was going to be just as well or even better. 

These girls really did nothing to set themselves apart from the hordes of other girl groups trying to break into the market. The song isn't complete garbage, I am a fan of sugary, aegyo filled singles so this fits right into my style of music. It actually sounds like something I would have heard when I was first getting into kpop- you know, back in '09. Their debut song is so-so and easily forgettable. I honestly couldn't remember anything about the group after watching the video the first time besides that two of the members had blond and yellow hair and of the members looked as if she belonged in SNSD.

Who knows, after another single is released, I might change my mind about them. But so far, the girls have given me a lukewarm feeling about the song. *I can't even listen to the song without my younger sibs asking me if they're cussing at @ :32!*





Next up is new girl group Gangkiz

The new group has released their first music video "Honey Honey" in the same long mini drama videos that label mates T-ara have become fund of recently. There aren't subtitles right now, so I can't really tell you exactly what the storyline to the music video- not like it's as solid as T-ara's "Cry Cry" was. From what I can see, a bunch of young women go exploring Europe picking up hitchhikers and making friends along the way. The song wasn't really the focus in the video since it mainly served as the background music to the video, so I can't really give an honest opinion on that either. It does sound like something T-ara has already done with their last album - the same disco feel, same "oohs", but I really won't make a decision on this group until I've heard them perform live -or the regular video is released.

 The last group I'll talk about is Spica. 

I know this group isn't all that new, since most of my favorite sites have already spotlighted them and proclaimed their greatness, but I never really gave the group a try. I'm stubborn when it comes to new music/artists. I will wait a lifetime before giving them a chance. It's not like I don't think they're worth the hype - I'm afraid they will be. If they are, I'll have a new bias meaning picking a favorite member, learning the members names, the fan club name and colors, and dedicating my posts to their new music because they've moved me so much. Back to Spica- I first saw their music video for "Russian Roulette" and immediately the drama in the video strikes me first. Clean, crisp, and it looks like the video has a simple concept- a game of Russian Roulette. With such a simple video design I knew that the song was going to be the main focus of the video. That's when I hear them sing and I instantly have to pause the video - I already know what's about to happen. The first singer already sound amazing and I know I'm about to love the rest of it -and I do. I can't really say anything bad about this video - this video was just freaking good! I even watched their vid for Doggedly as a quick chaser to this one (Lee Hyori stars in the video and supports the group!).


I hope that this post was long enough to satisfy you guys. I'll be posting as much as time permits and I'll be on the look out for all these groups and more that are yet to be revealed. Until then, I have to go find out more about Spica. These girls are amazing! What rookie groups are you supporting now?

3 comments:

  1. I support HV, and SPICA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to hear more from Hello Venus before I consider myself a fan. Now SPICA - I can get down with them!

    ReplyDelete